Monday, March 16, 2015

Phoenix, Arizona

Winco Foods


During my travels I like to explore the grocery stores around town to see if I can find any hidden gems.  Today I visited WinCo Foods in downtown Phoenix to see what they had to offer.  WinCo originated in the 1960's as a family owned and operated grocery store.  You Idahoans may remember it as Waremart.  The name was changed to WinCo in the 90s.   WinCo prides itself as a warehouse-style grocery store with extremely low prices.  I would agree that the prices are hard to beat.


As far as the donuts, they are similar to every other grocery store.  They had a wide selection and many maple bars to choose from.   In first looking at the donut, one would notice the extra thick icing that is running down the sides (although not seen in this poor quality photo).  The donut itself is thick and dense but not too dry.  It has good flavor but doesn't have that light fluffy texture as other donuts.  This is the type of donut that will fill you up and sit in your stomach for days.  The icing as mentioned above is thick and very sweet.  The flavor lacked the true maple "kick" that I was looking for.  I could taste the powdered sugar in the icing which was a little overpowering.  I would say overall the donut was average.  I would eat one again but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one.  I will say that if you want cheap groceries, then WinCo is the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment